Sea Launch Project
Eutelsat 3B Launch
SC EUTELSAT-3B is the communication satellite manufactured by EADS Astrium Company based on Astrium Eurostar E-3000 platform and its actual mass is 5898 kg.
Parameters of the calculated target injection orbit are: Íπ=385.0km, Íα=35636.0km, i=0.00.
The EUTELSAT-3B mission was prepared at the Home Port from February 21 to May 10, 2014.
LV Zenit-2S No SL37 and Block DM-SL ¹36L were used to launch the EUTELSAT-3B SC.
Chronology of activities (Moscow Time)
|February 21 - May 10,
Home Port activities:
- Block DM-SL ¹36L electropneumatic tests;
- Block DM-SL ¹36L integrated tests under the injection program;
- LV Zenit-2S No SL37 electropneumatic tests;
- LV Zenit-2S No SL37 under the injection program;
- Filling of Block DM-SL No 36L TCS with coolant;
- Filling of Block DM-SL No 36L with kerosene, NT and UDMH and gases;
- Integrated rehearsal No 1 with the off-nominal situation simulation during the processing;
- SC processing activities;
- SC filling;
- Rocket Segment systems and equipment processing;
- Loading propellant components and compressed gases into ships. Kerosine preparation operations;
- ILV assembly and testing;
- ILV reloading from ACS to LP;
- ILV dry roll-out (during dry roll-out when ILV was being installed on the launch pad a discrepancy in the nominal process of LV side plate and cable mast plate movement was found which resulted in mechanical damage to side plate of LV Zenit-2S No SL37. It was decided to stop further dry roll-out operations and conduct activities for ILV evacuation to LP hangar with a subsequent ILV reloading from LP to ACS);
- ILV reloading from LP to ACS;
- ILV disassembly on ACS (PLU unmating from Block DM-SL No 36L, unmating of Block DM-SL No 36L from LV Zenit-2S No SL37);
- Conduct of repair/maintenance work on LV Zenit-2S No SL37 (installation of newly-made load-carrying structure of LV plate, assembly of cables and pneumatic rods checked at manufacturing plant);
- Conduct of repair/maintenance work for spring thrusters of cable mast connectors assembly on LP;
- Recovery of nominal configuration of ground processing equipment to continue the EUTELSAT-3B mission - related activities;
- Repeated tests of Block DM-SL No 36L;
- Performance of shortened cycle of ILV Zenit-3SL assembly and tests;
- Repeated reloading of ILV from ACS to LP;
- Repeated dry roll-out of ILV (with its installation on the launch pad and Critical launch readiness checklist).
- Conduct of scheduled annual maintenance of Block DM-SL No 37L in the timeframe from March 13 to 25, 2014.
|May 11 - 23,
Launch Platform and Assembly-Command Ship passage to the launch area. Activities in the sea passage phase:
- Integrated rehearsal No 2 with the ONS simulation during the processing;
- Integrated rehearsal No 3 with comprehensive involvement of all the personnel and practically all standard and borrowed launch support and flight tracking facilities;
- Daily parameter control of Block DM-SL;
- Status monitoring and daily maintenance of RS systems during the sea passage.
| May 23 - 26,
Launch site activities:
- Transfer of the Rocket Segment systems and equipment from the state of readiness for the sea passage to the state of readiness for ILV PLP and launch;
- Assessment of oceanographic conditions;
- ILV preparation for roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- US processing (within ILV);
- Operations for LP LMC transfer to readiness for the sensor data acquisition and transmission during the launch operations;
- Integrated checks of the Upper Stage automated flight control system;
- OSC of processing equipment complex (PEC) and prelaunch processing systems (PLPS) under the control of LP ACC;
- Kerosine preparation for ILV filling;
- Search for the Launch Platform optimal orientation;
- Bringing the Launch Platform in the launch position;
- Bringing the Assembly-Command Ship in the launch position;
- ILV roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- ILV electrical checks;
- Critical launch readiness checklist;
- SC and PLU launch rehearsal;
- Checks of communication channels;
- Personnels evacuation from LP to ACS;
- PLP, including ILV fueling.
| May 27, 2014
At 01 hr 09 min 55 sec, Moscow Time, on May 27, 2014 (at 14 hr 09 min 55 sec on May 26, 2014, Pacific Daylight Time) ILV Zenit-3SL No SL37 with EUTELSAT-3B spacecraft was launched. All flight operations were performed normally. EUTELSAT-3B SC was injected in the design target orbit.
| May 27 - 28,
- Bringing the equipment in the initial state after ILV launch;
- Return of the "red team" onboard the LP and the incoming inspection of the Launch Platform;
- Bringing the equipment in the state of readiness to the sea passage.
| May 28 - June 13,
The Launch Platform and the Assembly-Command Ship passage from the launch area to the Home Port.
Based on TMI data, the EUTELSAT-3B spacecraft has been injected into orbit with the following parameters (the first apogee passage):