Sea Launch Project
Intelsat-27 is a 6215 kg communications satellite built by Boeing Satellite Systems Incorporated (BSSI) around the 702 Medium Power (MP) satellite bus.
The Intelsat-27 mission was prepared at the Home Port from December 14 to January 15, 2013.
LV Zenit-2S No. SL36 and Block DM-SL No. 35L were used to launch the Intelsat-27 SC.
Chronology of activities
|December 14, 2012 - January 15, 2013
Home Port activities:
- Mating rocket stages of the Zenit-2SL LV No.SL36;
- LV Zenit-2S No. SL36 electropneumatic tests;
- LV Zenit-2S No. SL36 integrated tests under the injection program;
- Block DM-SL No. 35L electropneumatic tests;
- Block DM-SL No. 35L integrated tests under the injection program;
- Filling of Block DM-SL No. 35L with kerosine, NT and UDMH and gases;
- Integrated rehearsal #1 with the off-nominal situation simulation during the processing;
- SC processing activities;
- SC filling;
- Rocket Segment systems and equipment processing;
- OSC of processing equipment complex and pre-launch processing system under the control of LP ACC;
- Loading propellant components and compressed gases into ships. Kerosine preparation operations;
- ILV assembly and testing;
- ILV reloading from ACS to LP;
- ILV dry roll-out (installation on the launch pad and critical launch readiness checklist).
|January 15 - 27, 2013
Launch Platform and Assembly/Command Ship passage to the launch area. Activities in the sea passage phase:
- Integrated rehearsal No. 2 with the ONS simulation during the processing;
- Integrated rehearsal No. 3 with comprehensive involvement of all the personnel and practically all standard and borrowed launch support and flight tracking facilities;
- Daily parameter control of Block DM-SL;
- Status monitoring and daily maintenance of RS systems during the sea passage.
| January 27 - February 1, 2013
Launch site activities:
- Transfer of the Rocket Segment systems and equipment from the state of readiness for the sea passage to the state of readiness for ILV PLP and launch;
- Assessment of oceanographic conditions;
- ILV preparation for roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- US processing (within ILV);
- Operations for LP LMC transfer to readiness for the sensor data acquisition and transmission during the launch operations;
- Integrated checks of the Upper Stage automated flight control system;
- OSC of processing equipment complex (PEC) and pre-launch processing systems (PLPS) under the control of LP ACC;
- Kerosine preparation for ILV filling;
- Search for the Launch Platform optimal orientation;
- Bringing the launch platform in the launch position;
- Bringing the assembly and command ship in the launch position;
- ILV roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- ILV electrical checks;
- Critical launch readiness checklist;
- SC and PLU launch rehearsal;
- Checks of communication channels;
- Personnel evacuation from LP to ACS;
- PLP including ILV fueling.
| February 1, 2013
At 10 hr 55 min 59 sec, Moscow Time (at 22 hr 55 min 59 sec on January 31, 2013, Pacific Daylight Time) ILV Zenit-3SL No. SL36 with Intelsat-27 spacecraft was launched. 1st stage main engine emergency shutdown 24 seconds into the flight.
| February 1 - 2, 2013
- Bringing the equipment in the initial state after ILV launch;
- Return of the "red team" onboard the LP and the incoming inspection of the launch platform;
- Bringing the equipment in the state of readiness to the sea passage.
| February 2 - 16, 2013
The launch platform and the assembly/command ship passage from the launch area to the Home Port.
A commision has been set up to investigate the causes of the failure