Sea Launch Project
EchoStar XI Launch
The EchoStar XI mission was prepared from May 29 till July 4, 2008.
Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL28 and Block DM-SL ¹ 28L were used to launch the EchoStar XI SC. Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL29 was preprocessed as a "donor".
CHRONOLOGY OF ACTIVITIES
|May 29 – July 4, 2008
Home Port activities:
- Tests of Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL28;
- Operations for Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL29 (donor);
- Tests, filling Block DM-SL ¹28L with high-boiling propellant;
- The spacecraft processing;
- Integrated rehearsal ¹1 with simulation of processing off-nominal situations;
- ILV integration and tests;
- ILV "dry roll-out" (installation on the launch pad and critical launch readiness checklist);
- Loading propellant components and compressed gases into ships.
|July 1 – 12, 2008
Launch Platform and Assembly/Command Ship passage to the launch site. Activities in the sea passage phase:
- Integrated rehearsal ¹2;
- Integrated rehearsal ¹3 with comprehensive involvement of all the personnel and practically all standard and borrowed launch support and flight tracking facilities.
|July 12 – 15, 2008
Launch site activities:
- Assessment of oceanographic conditions;
- Making the Rocket Segment systems ready for the launch site activities;
- ILV processing;
- Upper Stage processing;
- Launch measurement system activities;
- Integrated tests of the Upper Stage automated flight control system;
- ILV preparation for roll-out to the launch pad;
- Bringing the launch platform into the launch position;
- Bringing the assembly/ command ship into the launch position;
- ILV roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- ILV electrical checks;
- Critical launch readiness checklist;
- Operations with SC and PLU after performing protective operations
- Testing communication channels.
|July 16, 2008
At 9:20 am Moscow Time (July 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm PST) Zenit-3SL ILV ¹ SL28 with the EchoStar XI SC was launched. All flight operations were performed nominally. The spacecraft was injected into the design orbit.
After performing final operations the ships headed for the Home Port.
The EchoStar XI spacecraft has been injected into the calculated orbit: