Sea Launch Project
Galaxy 18 Launch
The Galaxy 18 mission was prepared from March till May 2008.
Zenit-2S LV № SL27 and Block DM-SL № 27L were used to launch the Galaxy 18 SC. Zenit-2S LV № SL28 was preprocessed as a "donor".
CHRONOLOGY OF ACTIVITIES
|March 28 – May 6, 2008
Home Port activities:
- Tests of Zenit-2S LV № SL27;
- Operations for Zenit-2S LV № SL28 (donor);
- Tests, filling Block DM-SL №27L with high-boiling propellant;
- The spacecraft processing;
- Integrated rehearsal №1 with simulation of processing off-nominal situations;
- ILV integration and tests;
- ILV "dry roll-out" (installation on the launch pad and critical launch readiness checklist);
- Loading propellant components and compressed gases into ships.
|May 6 – 17, 2008
Launch Platform and Assembly/Command Ship passage to the launch site. Activities in the sea passage phase:
- Integrated rehearsal №2;
- Integrated rehearsal №3 with comprehensive involvement of all the personnel and practically all standard and borrowed launch support and flight tracking facilities.
|May 17 – 21, 2008
Launch site activities:
- Assessment of oceanographic conditions;
- Making the Rocket Segment systems ready for the launch site activities;
- ILV processing;
- Upper Stage processing;
- Launch measurement system activities;
- Integrated tests of the Upper Stage automated flight control system;
- ILV preparation for roll-out to the launch pad;
- Bringing the launch platform into the launch position;
- Bringing the assembly/ command ship into the launch position;
- ILV roll-out and erection on the launch pad;
- Operations with SC and PLU after performing protective operations
- ILV electrical checks;
- Critical launch readiness checklist;
- Testing communication channels.
|May 21, 2008
At 1:43 pm Moscow Time (at 2:43 am PST) Zenit-3SL ILV № SL27 with the Galaxy 18 SC was launched. All flight operations were performed nominally. The spacecraft was injected into the design orbit.
After performing final operations the ships headed for the Home Port.
The Galaxy 18 spacecraft has been injected into the calculated orbit: