Sea Launch Project
Galaxy 16 Launch
The Galaxy 16 mission preparation began in May 2006 upon successful completion of operations for the JCSat-9 mission.
Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL20 and Block DM-SL ¹21L were used to launch the Galaxy 16 SC. It was proposed to provide the preliminary processing of Zenit-2S LV ¹SL23 and
Block DM-SL ¹23L as “donors”.
CHRONOLOGY OF ACTIVITIES
|May – June 2006
Operations at the Home Port:
- Tests of Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL20;
- Operations for Zenit-2S LV ¹ SL23 (donor);
- Tests of Block DM-SL ¹21L;
- ILV assembly and testing;
- Operations for SC;
- Integrated rehearsal ¹1 was conducted;
- Rocket Segment check with ILV "dry roll-out".
June 4-13, 2006
Assembly/Command Ship (ACS) and Launch Platform (LP) passage to the launch area.
Operations in the sea passage phase:
- Integrated rehearsal ¹2 involving all Sea Launch
Segments and organizations. In the course of the
rehearsal during the ILV prelaunch processing and
launch off-nominal situations were simulated;
- Integrated rehearsal ¹3 involving all Sea Launch Segments
and organizations with support of MCC (Korolev). During
the rehearsal nominal prelaunch processing and launch
of the Integrated Launch Vehicle were simulated.
|June 14-18, 2006
Operations in the launch area:
- Making the Rocket Segment systems ready for operations
in the launch area
- ILV processing;
- Operations at the Launch Measurement Complex;
- Integrated checks of the US automated flight control
- ILV preparation for roll-out to the launch pad;
- Launch Platform orientation to the launch position;
- Assembly Command Ship passage to the launch area;
- ILV roll-out and installation on the launch pad;
- PLU autonomous checks;
- ILV electrical checks;
- Critical Launch Readiness Checklist mode execution.
|June 18, 2006
The launch was performed from the Odissey Launch Platform at 11 hr. 50 min Moscow time (at 00 hr. 50 min Pacific standard time). The Galaxy 16 spacecraft was injected into the calculated orbit.
Upon completion of postflight operations LP and ACS left the launch area and headed for the Home Port.
The Galaxy 16 spacecraft has been injected into the calculated orbit: