Contract activities on ISS Russian Segment
Experiment MPAC & SEED
Investigation into micrometeorite situation in the ISS orbit and obtaining experimental data on the impact of space factors on samples of materials, coatings, elements of electronic and mechanical systems to be used in JAXA advanced space projects.
- Mounting of MPAC & SEED panels on the external surface of the Service module during extravehicular
activity, obtaining video and photographic information on the state of the panels.
- Detection of meteorite and space debris particles, including non-destructing capture of them using
silica aerogel traps available in the MPAC & SEED panels.
- Long-duration (no less than 1 year) passive exposure of samples of materials and coatings under space
environment factors effects (solar ultraviolet radiation) in the ISS operational orbit.
- Dismounting of the panels from the external surface of the Service module during extravehicular activity,
photography and video filming of the dismounting process and the panels state, transfer to the Service
module pressurized compartment, return of the samples in special containers to the ground.
Science Hardware Used:
- MPAC & SEED panels with samples
to be used for exposure of materials samples
in space conditions.
Flight Equipment Used:
- LIV complex;
- Glisser-M video camera;
- Nikon F5 photo camera
for registration of operations with equipment inside and outside the Service module.
- Adapter frame;
- A set of tools and accessories
for attachment of MPAC & SEED panels on the
ISS outer surface.
- Special return containers SRC;
- Photo- and Video Tapes.
Monitoring of meteorite and technogenic environment in the range of 0.001 -0.1 mm particles.