Earth and space sciences
Study of layered atmospheric structures (emission atmospheric layers and noctilucent clouds) at the upper mesosphere – the lower thermosphere altitudes.
- Delivery of Terminator to the ISS RS SM
- Cable assembly for Terminator in the ISS RS SM.
- Check activations of Terminator.
- Holding observations sessions in the Nadir mode.
Used Science Hardware:
- Transportation Packages Terminator No.No. 1-6;
- Video Cameras (4 pcs.).
Used Flight Equipment:
- Payload Interface Control Unit (TVM1-N) of OECS.
The experiment result is scientific and accompanying data accumulated.
Scientific information is presented as the object digital images at four wavelengths of the visible and near IR spectral regions.
As a result of conducting Terminator SE and processing experimental material obtained there are the following findings:
- Relationship between the emission and scattering perturbances in the upper mesosphere – the lower thermosphere and processes occurring under the Earth’s surface (earthquakes), on its surface (tsunami, explosions, fires, vehicle launches) and in the troposphere (thunderstorms, typhoons, tornadoes) is studied;
- Procedure of obtaining spectral characteristics of VGV on the basis of mathematical processing of the emission layer images is tested;
- Numerical estimates of the energy and pulse fluxes carried by the ensemble of atmospheric internal waves from the lower atmosphere to the upper atmosphere are made;
- Data on microstructure of mesospheric noctilucent clouds has been obtained.