Biotechnological research on ISS Russian Segment
Experiment PCS is included in the program of research activities to be performed by Malaysian angkasawan Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Al Masrie onboard
the ISS Russian Segment in the framework of ANGKASA MSM Project. The experiment is
performed under the Malaysian National Program.
- Characterize the effect of microgravity on the crystal growth behaviour of lipases.
- Compare the 3D crystal structures of protein crystals obtained on the earth and in space.
Grow protein crystals under microgravity.
Science Hardware Used :
PCS Kit, consisting of:
The high-density protein crystal growth apparatus (HDPCG) is designed to grow high-density protein crystals. Each HDPCG apparatus
contains 6 cells consisting of two chambers containing protein solution and precipitating agent. Two thermostable proteins F16L Lipase and T1
Lipase are used as biological objects. Each of HDPCG apparatus has its own activation/deactivation Handle.
- Activation/deactivation handle;
- HOBO temperature data recorder,
HOBO is an autonomous temperature recorder, powered by a small internal battery and storing data in non-volatile memory.
Crew Support Equipment:
- Digital camera Nikon D2X.
Protein crystals grown under microgravity and photo information recorded on a flash card.