Biotechnological research on ISS Russian Segment
Experiment CIS is included in the program of research activities to be performed by Malaysian angkasawan Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Al Masrie onboard
the ISS Russian Segment in the framework of ANGKASA MSM Project. The experiment is
performed under the Malaysian National Program.
In CIS experiment three different research projects are to be performed:
||Eukaryotic Cells in Space.
||Endothelial cells in microgravity environment.
||Osteoblastic cellular functions in micro-gravity environment.
- To determine the effects of spaceflight (specifically, micro-gravity and space radiation) on gene expression and morphology of eukaryotic cells (ECIS project).
- To investigate the effects of micro-gravity on endothelial dysfunction and inflammation (HUVEC project).
- To study the effects of space radiation on DNA and determine spaceflight induced chromosomal rearrangement in osteoblasts due to
exposure to spaceflight environment (OSTEO project).
- Cultivation of cell cultures onboard the ISS RS (ECIS project).
- Cultivation of endothelial cells onboard the ISS RS (HUVEC project).
- Cultivation of osteoblastic cells onboard the ISS RS (OSTEO project).
Science Hardware Used :
- Three similar CIS Kits: CIS Kit 1, CIS Kit 2 and CIS Kit 3 with biological materials.
Each of the first two CIS Kits consists of four FPA sets (twelve FPA biocontainers) and one HOBO data recorder.
CIS Kit 3 consists of six FPA sets (twelve FPA biocontainers) and one HOBO data recorder.
Each FPA set of CIS Kit 1 and CIS Kit 2 includes three PFAs, and CIS Kit 3 contains FPA sets consisting of two FPAs.
FPA biocontainer is a syringe-like device with a cylindrical glass container housed within a Lexan sheathe. The inside glass container has 3 compartments
(chambers A, B, C) separated by two porous septa.
HOBO is an autonomous temperature recorder, powered by a small
internal battery and storing data in non-volatile memory.
- One CIS Kit 4 with consumables
- Flexible glove bag
to perform FPA activation operations;
- Activation tool
to mix liquids in FPA;
- Bitrane bags.
- KUBIK AMBER Incubator
Will be used to perform the experiment and store experiment samples
until their return to the ground.
Crew Support Equipment:
- Digital camera Nikon D2X;
- Laptop A31P.
CIS KIT 1, CIS KIT 2 and CIS KIT 3 returned to the ground with grown
biomaterials and accompanying photo information on a flash card.
To complete the objective of ECIS project eight FPA SETs (24 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a complete
growth medium, Chamber B is filled with cell suspension and Chamber C with a fixative or medium.
To complete the objective of HUVEC project three FPA SETs (6 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a culture medium,
Chamber B is filled with an additional culture growth medium and Chamber C with a fixative or medium.
To complete the objective of OSTEO project three FPA SETs (6 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a culture mixture
(osteoblast), Chamber B is filled with a medium (culture medium with serum) and Chamber C with a fixative or medium.