Biotechnological research on ISS Russian Segment
Study a correlation between the alteration of genetic properties, productivity of recombinant strains in microgravity, and exposure to heavy charged space particles.
- Study a long-duration effect of space radiation factors on cultures of recombinant strains producing biologically active substances in spaceflight, as well as their growth characteristics and plasmid segregation stability.
- Study and test a technique for selecting highly productive strains from the cultures exposed in spaceflight.
- Record and analyze heavy nuclear tracks and total radiation dose.
- Determine a correlation between alterations of genetic properties of the subject biological objects with a different level of organization
(microorganisms, plant and animal cells) and number of hits of heavy charged space particles.
Science Hardware Used :
“Bioecologia” Kit with four ”Bioecologia’ cases, containing:
- Vial with an ampoule with lyophilized cultures (12);
- Tube with biosample vials (4);
- Temperature data logger
- Thermoluminescent detector (5);
- Track detector
“Bioecologia” case returned to the ground.
Experiment data collected in this experiment will make it possible to look into the action of molecular mechanisms leading to disordering in genetic cell apparatus caused by an increased level of ionizining radiation acting in a spaceflight along with the microgravity and other extreme environment conditions, that will find application in development of orbital space stations of a new generation, as well as during long-duration spaceflights.