Biotechnological research on ISS Russian Segment
Experiment Sample is a part of the scientific research program to be conducted by ESA astronaut of the Dutch nationality Andre Kuipers onboard the SS RS in the
frame of DSM Delta Project. The European Space Agency is a customer of the preparation and implementation of
the research program.
- Evaluate microbial species, which might inhabit the ISS.
- Investigate the mechanism of microbial adaptation to micro-gravity.
- Microbial sampling from the Dutch astronaut and various surfaces on the ISS RS for further strains
isolation and investigation of their adhesion abilities.
- Exposure of Escherichia coli on ISS RS during VC-6.
Science Hardware Used:
- SAMPLE Collection Kit including SAMPLE sub-packs to take samples from various surfaces (computers, "walls",
"personal cabins", technical equipment, etc.) and from the astronaut.
- SAMPLE Specimen Case filled with biological objects.
- KUBIK TOPAZ container, a thermally insulated container (incubator) for stowage of partial samples before the download.
Microbial samples taken on the ISS RS, and biological objects which were exposed to microgravity conditions.