Biotechnological research on ISS US Segment
PROMISS-2 experiment is a part of the science research program to be performed aboard the ISS RS by Pedro Duque, ESA astronaut of Spanish nationality in the
frame of the CERVANTES Project and continued PROMISS
experiment performed under the ODISSEA Project. The European Space Agency is a customer for
the preparation and implementation of the scientific program.
The experiment is conducted in MSG on US Segment.
Study of protein growth processes in microgravity conditions by using a counter-diffusion crystallisation technique.
- Measurement of the parameters of the growing protein crystals.
- Study of the composition changes (depletion zone) of liquid around the growing protein crystals.
- Use of a holographic microscope for optical investigation of crystal growth mechanisms in microgravity conditions.
Science Hardware Used:
- PROMISS-2 Experiment box with the digital holographic microscope;
- PROMISS-2 Kit 1 with electronic box and cables;
- PROMISS-2 Kit 2 including a clamp and a disk with 6 reactors.
- PROMISS-2 Kit 3 including mini DV videotapes and PCMCIA cards.
Biomaterials to be returned from the ISS RS, as well as video tapes and mini DV and mictrodrive.