Human Life Research on ISS Russian Segment
Experiment CRISP-2 forms part of the scientific research program performed by Italian Astronaut Roberto Vittori (ESA)
on the Russian Segment of the ISS in the frame of ENEIDE ISM Project.
The European Space Agency is a customer of the preparation and implementation of the research program.
- Study the effects of microgravity on the proliferation of neurons in crickets, if fertilization occurs in space.
- Study the effects of gravity deprivation on gravity-related behavior in crickets.
Incubation of animals on the Russian Segment of the ISS.
Science Hardware Used:
- Experimental Cricket Containers CRI (2) with laboratory crickets, i.e. female crickets Acheta domesticus, seven female crickets in each container. Each Cricket Container accommodates three Egg Collectors and one water bottle.
- KUBIK Ц AMBER Ц thermally insulated container (incubator) with a set of slots for Cricket Containers.
During flight, females will be allowed to deposit eggs in the respective egg collectors during two periods of the mission.
This requirement considers that embryos are exposed for different periods to microgravity. After the first period of eggs deposition
the embryos are developed for 8 days under microgravity conditions. During this period the neuronal proliferation under Earth conditions
is completed. After the second period of egg deposition the embryos remain in microgravity for 3 days only, namely, neuronal
proliferation will continue after return to 1g-condition.
- Incubated embryos of crickets in Cricket Containers;
- Video data recorded during the experiment showing walking abilities and health conditions of the female crickets.