Human Life Research on ISS Russian Segment
Researches aimed at solving the problems of fundamental biology and problems of optimization of plants cultivation
modes for future greenhouses as part of advanced space life support system.
- Mounting and preparation of equipment for experiment performance.
- Study of specific features of water-air mode of the Lada greenhouse vegetation vessel in space flight conditions
- Study of plants cultivation technology ("Mizuna" lettuce, "Micro-Tom" dwarfish tomatoes, dwarfish (red) pea) as applied to standard greenhouse devices
- Study of the impact of space flight factors on the growth and evolution of plants which can be potentially used in space vitamin greenhouses
- Study of germination and viability of plants
- Study of phenology of plant evolution
- Study of reproductive property of plants and production of the second generation of space seeds
- Study of chemical composition of plants and seeds grown in zero-g conditions to define the content of nitrocompounds in vegetable biomass
- Determination of ethylene concentration in the ISS RS atmosphere
Science Hardware Used:
- - Lada greenhouse consisting of:
- Control unit;
- Lighting unit;
- Leaf chamber;
- Root module;
- Water canister.
Being a module-type system, the Lada greenhouse ensures maximum flexibility, its dimensions are
decreased by four times as compared to the Svet similar greenhouse used on board the Mir OC.
- Accessories Kit.
Flight Equipment Used:
- Water canister
- SVO-3V receiving device
- Video camera SONY DVCam
for video recording of the process of crew operation
with the greenhouse.
- Rasteniya Kit to return plant samples to the ground
- Video tape
Assessment of productive properties of leaf vegetable plants in zero-gravity conditions and verification
of land treatment to extend the closed ecological life support system techniques to spacecraft.