Human Life Research on ISS Russian Segment
ALTEINO experiment is included in the Italian scientific and technological program Marco
Polo, which is a constituent part of the Russian Program for Implementation of Scientific and Technological Research Planned for the
Fourth Manned Expedition ISS-4.
To study the mechanisms of effects of heavy charged particles in cosmic radiation and the phosphenes (light flashes) that they create
on visual analyzers and central nervous system of the cosmonaut and his capacities as an operator in space flight environment.
- radiology studies in the field of space particle physics;
- electrophysiology studies of the level of total effects of space flight on the functional state of the cosmonaut's central nervous system.
Scientific Equipment Used:
- AST spectrometer to measure angle, charge and energy properties of heavy ions (nuclei) in cosmic radiation.
- Halley package (portable electroencephalograph) to support pick-up, amplification, and analog-to-digital conversion of
electrophysiological signals (up to 16 channels), recording and storing data on PCMCIA cards consisting of:
- Halley device;
- event indicator;
- ALTEINO-PM kit:
- headpiece with electroencephalograph;
- a set of electrodes.
- PCMCIA memory cards;
- MC-60 mini-cassettes for dictaphone.
Obtaining the data on the radiation safety of cosmonauts during long-duration and long-range missions, as well as the dynamics of their central nervous
system functional state and changes in the level of their capacity as operators under these conditions. Determining the level of radiation protection in working
compartments of ISS RS more precisely.