Space Technology & Material Science on ISS Russian Segment
Investigation of mechanisms of forming high-porous heat-resistant thermal insulating material structures
with a low thermal conductance for operating in space vacuum in a temperature range between 0°K and 3000°K.
- Determination of burning and structure formation mechanisms in SVS systems in microgravity conditions.
- Production of heat-resistant materials with a unique structure of foams or granular frames, which
represente effective thermal insulating and structural materials.
Science Hardware Used:
- SVS research chamber, including:
- removable pressurized container,
- power and control unit,
- cable set.
- Onboard equipment Telescience.
- Removable pressurized container SVS with the experiment results.
- Video tapes Hi-8 with video information on SVS reaction process recorded by using the videotape
recorder being part pf Telescience equipment.
Production of large-size and low-density items of
ceramic and ceramic-metal materials. These materials
can be used as structural materials for building space
platforms and using them on the ISS RS. SVS are promising
processes to conduct repair activities and produce
protection coatings in space.