Educational & Humanitarian projects on ISS Russian Segment
Integrated experiment FIZIKA-OBRAZOVANIE consists of three sections:
In the experiment the following physical phenomena are proposed to be demonstrated in microgravity:
- reactive and aerodynamic action on a solid body of revolution
(a series of the experiment sessions with Letauschaya Tarelka device);
- aggregation of gas bubbles during the phase separation of gas-liquid fine-dispersion medium
(the experiment session with Faza device);
- processes of the motion and effect transfer to the human vestibular apparatus
(a series of the experiment sessions with Otolit device).
- Demonstration of action of basic physical laws of motion during revolution of geometrically symmetrical body - ellipsoid in weightlessness (Fizika-LT).
- Study of the process of full phase separation of the gas-liquid fine-disperse system in microgravity under the action of diffusion and the surface tension forces of the liquid (Fizika-Faza).
- Demonstration of simulation process for the motion and effect transfer to the human vestibulator apparatus in microgravity (Fizika-Otolit).
1. In sessions of Fizika-LT section the studies envisage:
- check for the following onboard the ISS RS: a capability to demonstrate the action of physical laws of dynamics of reactive and gyroscopic forces on ellipsoid (Letauschaya Tarelka device) rotating in the unsupported medium in microgravity, with video record of its behavior in the station module;
- study of the effect of the metering characteristics of the air flow source (with direction and flow of spraying air jets changed) on the Letauschaya tarelka rotation and motion paramenters;
- issue of scientific-educational presentation material on a compact disk on the subject: Demonstration and study of the action of reactive and gyroscopic forces in microgravity upon the end of the laboratory processing of video records and analysis of the results produced.
2. In sessions of Fizika-Faza section the studies envisage:
- photographic recording of the behavior and volume conversion of gas bubbles to the area with common boundary surface: liquid-gas;
- study of the rate and features of the phase separation process when combining the air bubbles in the liquid in the absence of the action of the buoyancy;
- comparative assessment of the gas diffusion process and action of the surface tension forces occurring with no effect of the force physical factors of gravitational nature;
- issue of scientific-educational presentation material on a compact disk on the subject: Demonstration of the gas bubbles aggregation phenomenon at the phase separation of a gas-liquid fine-disperse system in microgravity, occurring under the action of the liquid internal forces upon the end of the laboratory processing and analysis of photographs.
3. In sessions of Fizika-Otolit section the studies envisage:
- demonstration of simulation of motor processes and inertial effects in the human vestibular apparatus with accelerations alternating in sign in microgravity, with video recording of the vestibular apparatus hydromechanical model response;
- record of inertial (trial) mass behavior in the vestibular apparatus hydromechanical model for the given mechanical effects;
- comparative assessment of the response of the inertial system of the model with the available space and aviation medicine data;
- issue of scientific-educational presentation material on a compact disk on the subject: Demonstration of simulation processos for the motion and effect transfer to the vestibular apparatus in microgravity, upon the end of the laboratory processing of video records and analysis of the produced results.
Science Equipment Used:
- Letauschaya tarelka device;
- Faza device;
- Otolit device;
- Set of accessories
Flight Equipment Used:
- Camcorder Sony HVR-Z1J;
- Digital photo camera Nikon D200;
- Universal portable bracket;
- Portable lamp;
- Mass meter complex
- Video cassette DVCAM (2 pcs.);
- Flash card
- Video cassettes DVCAM with record of sessions under Fizika-LT and Fizika-Otolit sections;
- Flash card with photography results of Fizika-Faza session.
The experiment results are proposed to be used in the educational process for demonstration check of the available knowledge of the features of the complex motion of a solid body, physical nature of phase separation in gas-liquid fine-dispersion media as well as for visual illustration of features of the human vesibular apparatus operation in microgravity.