Educational & Humanitarian projects on ISS Russian Segment
VIDEO-2 experiment is a part of the science research program to be performed aboard the ISS RS by Pedro Duque, ESA astronaut of Spanish nationality in the
frame of the CERVANTES Project and continued EDUCATION
experiment performed under the ODISSEA Project. The European Space Agency is a customer for
the preparation and implementation of the scientific program.
Demonstration and filming of some basic physical phenomena (Newton's Three Laws of Motion) with voice
under microgravity conditions on board the ISS RS for educational purposes.
Demonstration of the following physical phenomena:
- undisturbed object is either in the state of rest or in rectilinear uniform motion until forces act on it (Newton's first law);
- difference in definition of mass and weight, as well as interrelation between a force, mass and acceleration (F=ma) of moving objects (Newton's
- for each action there is an equal in value and reverse reaction (Newton's third law). Comparison of the going on process in two similar cases - when
acting forces and masses of bodies are fixed; when acting forces are fixed and the mass changes;
- no gravitation on board the ISS;
- centrifugal effects as simulation of the force of gravity.
Science Hardware Used:
- Pouch with wooden balls (2 pieces);
- Pouch with brass balls;
- Pouch with 2 sets of yellow balls;
- Pouch with balls (ping-pong, 2 pieces);
- Plastic syringe (20 ml);
-Video tapes mini DV (2 pieces).
Crew Support Items:
- Camcorder SONY DSR PD-150P;
- Universal adapter bracket LIV for camera fixation.
Information recorded on Video Tapes mini DV.