July 4, 2010. S.P.Korolev RSC Energia - MCC-M,
Korolev, Moscow region
Russian logistics spacecraft Progress M-06M, after four days in free flight, docked with the International Space Station (ISS).
Approach to the space station, its fly-around, stationkeeping and docking were performed in automatic mode. The initial contact with the docking port on the instrumentation and propulsion compartment of the Zvezda Service Module of the ISS Russian Segment (RS) occurred at 20:17 Moscow Time.
The crew of Expedition 24 to ISS working on-board the space station
monitored the process of rendezvous and docking. All dynamic operations
were performed by specialists of the Lead Operations Control Team
under the supervision of the Technical Management (The Technical
Manager is the President and Designer General of the S.P. Korolev
RSC Energia V.A. Lopota).
Present at the Mission Control Center near Moscow (MCC-M) during the final operations of the spacecraft rendezvous and docking with ISS were: representatives of the State Commission (the Chairman is the head of Roscosmos A.N. Perminov), of Roscosmos, NASA, subcontractor companies and organizations in the industry, managers and specialists of the Corporation.
During a news conference held at MCC-M after the docking, state secretary and deputy head of Roskosmos V.A. Davydov and President and Designer General of RSC Energia V.A. Lopota answered questions from journalists.
According to telemetry data and reports from the ISS crew, the on-board systems of the space station and spacecraft operate normally.
- The spacecraft delivered to the station about 2.6 tons of cargo. They include: supplies of propellants, water, oxygen, food (including natural form foods), equipment for modules and various ISS RS systems, medical, sanitary/hygienic and water supply equipment, scientific equipment, on-board documentation, parcels for the crew, video and photographic equipment. Intended for the US segment of the station are 426 kg of cargos.
- The mission control and the monitoring of the spacecraft systems status during rendezvous and docking were provided by the Lead Operations Control Team consisting of specialists from S.P.Korolev RSC Energia, MCC-M, and other organizations in the industry. The Flight Director is the RSC Energia First Deputy General Designer V.A. Soloviev.
- ISS RS consists of the Functional and Cargo Modukle (FGB) Zarya, modules: Zvezda, Pirs, Poisk and Rassvet, spacecraft Soyuz TMA-18, Soyuz TMA-19, Progress M-05M, and Progress M-06M.
- ISS crew: Russian cosmonauts A. Skvortsov
(ISS Commander), M. Kornienko
and F. Yurchikhin,
US astronauts T. Caldwell-Dyson,
S. Walker, D. Wheelock.
- Automatic docking of the spacecraft originally scheduled for July 2, 2010 was aborted due to unstable VHF communications link between it and the ISS during tests of the teleoperator control mode. The spacecraft automatic equipment aborted the dynamic operations and switched Progress M-06 to safe fly-by mode. By the decision of the Technical Management, the docking was postponed till July 4, 2010.