General Director of the Corporation
SEVASTIYANOV Nikolai Nikolayevich
Born April 30, 1961, in Chelyabinsk.
1984 – Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT), department of Aerophysics and Space Research.
1984–1993 NPO Energia specialist in development of spacecraft control systems;
1992–2005 Founder and general director of JSC Gazcom (renamed to JSC Gazprom Space Systems in 2008);
1995–2000 Deputy general designer of S.P.Korolev RSC Energia for automatic space systems;
2005–2007 President and General Designer of S.P.Korolev RSC Energia.
2008 Deputy Chairman of the Government of Amur region for organizing construction of the Vostochny launch site;
2008–2018 General designer and head of the main design office of JSC Gazprom Space Systems;
2010–2018 A department chair at Tomsk State University;
June-September 2018 acting first deputy general director of Roscosmos;
September 2018 – January 2019 - Deputy general director of FSUE TsNIIMash.
Since January 25, 2019 – Acting Director General of S.P. Korolev RSC Energia.
Since March 6, 2019 – General Director of S.P. Korolev RSC Energia.
Titles and awards
- Honored Designer of the Russian Federation.
- Winner of the RF President Prize for education;
- Winner of the Government Prize for education;
- Honorary employee of JSC Gazprom;
- Tsiolkovsky Badge from the Federal Space Agency;
- The Badge of Service to the Moscow Region, 3rd Class.
- Candidate of Engineering Sciences;
- Visiting professor at Tomsk State University.
Full member of academies:
- International Academy of Astronautics;
- K.E. Tsiolkovsky Russian Academy of Cosmonautics;
- International Academy of Technological Sciences;
- International public academy of communication.
Major results of activities
Work at S.P. Korolev RSC Energia
- Participated in the development of control systems for control moment gyros that controlled the attitude of space station Mir.
- Took part in the development of space sail spacecraft as the general director of Consortium Space Regatta, managed work on space experiment Znamya-2.
- Provided technical management for development of a new-generation communications satellite Yamal with long life in orbit, as well as for construction of the ground control segment for the orbital constellation of the communication satellites.
- Established at RSC Energia development and production of unmanned spacecraft, including communications and ERS satellites.
- Brought about the RSC Energia’s recovery from an economic crisis in 2005 by introducing to the corporation the principles of project management and assuring its profitable operation.
- Provided technical management for launches of cosmonauts on Soyuz spacecraft and delivery of cargoes by space rocket systems Soyuz, operation and development of the Russian Segment of the international Space Station.
- In June 2007, managed activities to rescue and restore to working condition the International Space Station after a failure of the onboard computer system during STS-117 mission of the US Space Shuttle.
- Organized the ramping up of production of manned spacecraft Soyuz for delivery of international crews to the ISS after Space Shuttle retirement.
- Under his leadership, social programs of non-state pension provision and voluntary medical insurance were implemented at the Corporation.
Work at JSC Gazprom Space Systems
- Established the company in 1992.
- Managed work on the development of a process control satellite communication system of Gazprom to support geological exploration and drilling for, production, transportation and sale of natural gas.
- Was in charge of work on the development and adoption in Russia of the digital satellite broadcasting system, which laid the foundations of our country’s multi-channel central and regional TV and radio broadcasting.
- Was in charge of work to develop the orbital constellation of communication satellites Yamal-100, Yamal-201, Yamal-202, the investments in which paid back as early as in 2008 through provision of services both in the Russian and foreign markets. This demonstrated the feasibility of commercializing space activities in Russia.
- Brought the company to the international space services market.
- Established and staffed with specialists the prime design office developing space systems and ground telecommunications and geoinformation systems.
- Was in charge of work to develop the orbital constellation of communication satellites Yamal-300K, Yamal-402, Yamal-401, which supported the information system for 2012 presidential elections and TV broadcasts from Sochi Olympics in 2014.
- Was in charge of work to establish a new ground control segment for Yamal orbital constellation and teleport infrastructure in Shchelkovo, Moscow region, in Yaroslavl region and Khabarovsk.
- Was in charge of establishing the Aerospace Monitoring Center for Gazprom and introducing aerospace monitoring of the assets of the Unified Gas Supply System.
- Developed a methodology for reliability assurance and quality control of the rocket and space hardware, and adopted it for the implementation of the company’s space projects.
- Set in motion the establishment of a state-of-the-art spacecraft assembly factory at Shchelkovo, which will come into operation in 2020.
- Major methodological achievements in the field of project management of companies, organizing investment space projects, organizing construction of ground manufacturing infrastructure, commercialization of space activities.
Work at Tomsk State University
- Established department of Industrial Space Systems and a master’s program at Tomsk State University. Introduced a new methodology of training personnel for space industry.
- Major scientific and engineering works in the field of development of new space hardware, spacecraft control systems, payloads for communication satellites, geoinformation technologies, assurance of reliable operation of satellites in space.
Work in the Government of Amur region
- Prepared materials for Russia’s Security Council, which in April 2008 took the decision to establish Vostochny launch site.