Automatic Space Systems
S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia in cooperation with subcontractors in the Russian industry made a new important step in space technologies - a modular Multi-purpose Satellite Bus (MSB) was developed for a new generation of multi-functional high-performance automatic spacecraft with long life in orbit.
The first geostationary communications satellite built around the MSB was launched into orbit September 6, 1999.
For the first time in Russia, a number of unique engineering solutions and new state-of-the-art technologies, unparalleled in our country, have been developed and implemented:
- Modular design that makes it possible to build multi-functional spacecraft for various purposes.
- Unpressurized structure made of three-layer honeycomb panels integrated with a passive (with no movable mechanical elements) thermal control system.
- Solar arrays based on three-layer carbon plastic honeycomb panels.
- Fault-tolerant digital on-board control system.
- Guidance, Navigation and Control (GN&C) system based on high-precision star trackers and non-propulsive final control devices (momentum wheels).
- A system for monitoring the pressure of the SC's own induced atmosphere.
- A unified propulsion system using stationary plasma thrusters (SPT).
- Multi-level integrated system for assuring reliability and long life in orbit, including a functional test of the SC flight model under conditions simulating space environment.
- Launch of 2 satellites on one Proton launch vehicle with Block DM upper stage.
- Final ascent of the satellites to the working orbit using SPT which makes it possible to increase the up mass.
Based on unparalleled experience in manned space flight, enabling development of highly reliable space technology and state-of-the-art engineering solutions, the work team of the Corporation has developed a new generation of unmanned spacecraft that are on a par with the world's best spacecraft in a similar class.
A long-standing operation of the first Yamal-100 and two satellites Yamal-200 communications satellites is provided, a Earth remote sensing satellite BelKa has been developed, and a series of multifunctional satellites is being developed under a government contract. A recognition of the state-of-the-art level of quality of RSC Energia's satellites is evidenced by its winning international tenders and building satellites for customers from abroad.