USED SCIENCE HARDWARE:
- Three similar CIS Kits: CIS Kit 1, CIS Kit 2 and CIS Kit 3 with
Each of the first two CIS Kits consists of four FPA sets (twelve FPA
biocontainers) and one HOBO data recorder.
CIS Kit 3 consists of six FPA sets (twelve FPA biocontainers) and one HOBO data recorder.
Each FPA set of CIS Kit 1 and CIS Kit 2 includes three PFAs, and CIS Kit 3 contains FPA sets consisting of two FPAs.
FPA biocontainer is a syringe-like device with a cylindrical glass container
housed within a Lexan sheathe. The inside glass container has 3 compartments
(chambers A, B, C) separated by two porous septa.
HOBO is an autonomous temperature recorder, powered by a small
internal battery and storing data in non-volatile memory.
- One CIS Kit 4 with consumables
- Flexible glove bag
to perform FPA activation operations;
- Activation tool
to mix liquids in FPA;
- Bitrane bags.
- KUBIK AMBER Incubator
Will be used to perform the experiment and store experiment samples
until their return to the ground.
CREW SUPPORT EQUIPMENT:
- Digital camera Nikon D2X;
- Laptop A31P.
- To determine the effects of spaceflight (specifically, micro-gravity
and space radiation) on gene expression and morphology of eukaryotic cells (ECIS project).
- To investigate the effects of micro-gravity on endothelial dysfunction and inflammation (HUVEC project).
- To study the effects of space radiation on DNA and determine
spaceflight induced chromosomal rearrangement in osteoblasts due to
exposure to spaceflight environment (OSTEO project).
- Cultivation of cell cultures onboard the ISS RS
- Cultivation of endothelial cells onboard the ISS RS
- Cultivation of osteoblastic cells onboard the ISS RS
CIS KIT 1, CIS KIT 2 and CIS KIT 3 returned to the ground with grown
biomaterials and accompanying photo information on a flash card.
To complete the objective of ECIS project eight FPA SETs
(24 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a complete
growth medium, Chamber B is filled with cell suspension and Chamber C
with a fixative or medium.
To complete the objective of HUVEC project three FPA SETs
(6 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a culture medium,
Chamber B is filled with an additional culture growth medium and
Chamber C with a fixative or medium.
To complete the objective of OSTEO project three FPA SETs
(6 FPAs) will be used, in which Chamber A is filled with a culture mixture
(osteoblast), Chamber B is filled with a medium (culture medium with serum)
and Chamber C with a fixative or medium.