SCIENCE HARDWARE USED:
- Electronics unit BTN-ME
- Spare BTN
- BTN unit
- Platform with locks
- Cable set
- Cable holder
- Cable reel with cable.
- Building a physical model for generation of charged and neutral particles during solar flares.
- Developing a physical model of neutron albedo of the earth atmosphere with regard to helio- and geophysical environment, measurement point longitude and altitude effects, time of the day and lighting conditions, atmosphere conditions.
- Developing a physical model of neutron background in the vicinity of the ISS in different flight conditions, as well as recording space gamma bursts.
- Mounting the onboard neutron telescope, cable
routing inside and outside the pressurized compartment
and conducting photo (video) imagery of their location
- Measuring direct and scattered fluxes of high-energy
neutrons of solar flares with energies from 10
to 15 MeV.
- Measuring neutrons resulted from nuclear reactions
induced by space rays in the earth’s upper atmosphere
in the range of thermal (0.001 – 0.1 eV), epithermal
(0.1 – 1.0 eV), resonance (1 – 0.3 eV) and fast
(0.3 – 15 MeV) energies.
- Measuring gamma radiation in energy ranges between
30 keV to 100 MeV.
Experimental spectrometric investigations of neutron
fields on the ISS will allow to
- Clarify the on-orbit radiation environment models
- Clarify neutron source models in near-earth space
environment and evaluate their contribution in
a complete radiation dose received by cosmonauts
- Obtain data on high-energy neutron fluxes with
energies up to 16 MeV coming from powerful solar
flares with regard to albedo radiation of the earth
- Build an operational model of neutron background
environment on the station
- Clarify existing solar activity models
- Obtain data on fluxes of rigid electromagnetic
space rays component
- Measurement data on spatial and time distributions
of radiation characteristics of space ionizing
radiation (neutron and gamma components) outside
the Service Module of the ISS RS;
- Correlation data on radiation environment
parameters outside the Service Module of the
ISS RS obtained through calculation with the
results of measurements made by science hardware
BTN-M1 and results of other Russian and international
- Measurement data on solar flare parameters
in neutron and gamma range.