Technologies of space exploration
Development of the accounting methods of the solar radiation reflected from the Earth in the ISS RS power supply system model.
- development of method to determine albedo of the Earth underlying surface the spectral range used by the ISS solar arrays (SA) to generate electrical power using telemetry information (TMI) from the ISS SA when implementing special sessions for SA surface pointing to the Earth;
- determination of the underlying surface albedo by measurements of the Earth remote sensing (ERS) spectral equipment including calibration of ERS spectral equipment measurements based on the reference ground and sea ranges;
- verification of the characteristics of the Earth underlying surface albedo in the radiation spectrum used by the ISS SA to generate electrical power obtained using TMI from the ISS SA by measurements of ERS spectral equipment;
- map construction of the Earth underlying surface albedo values depending on weather conditions, lighting conditions, geographical, time (seasonal and daily) distribution;
- development of the calculation procedure of electrical power supply from the ISS RS SA under the effect of solar radiation reflected from the Earth to the ISS RS power supply system models;
- development of proposals and recommendations for the ISS RS power supply system (PSS) control modes and possible methods for SA construction on the advanced modules of the ISS RS with regard to the capabilities to generate electrical power under the effect of solar radiation reflected from the Earth underlying surface.
The duration of space experiment phase I during which algorithms and software will be developed for the target telemetry information processing is 3 years since the start of the experiment conduct. The duration of SE phase II during which statistical data will be accumulated is no less than 5 years.
Science Hardware Used:
In phase I of the experiment the following ERS science hardware is used:
- Photospectral system (PSS);
- Spectrozonal ultraviolet system "Fialka-MV-Kosmos".
(on tne SM Zvezda window)
- Digital maps Compact Flash;
- Hard disk for storage and return of photographic images;
- Video cassettes mini-DV.
Service Equipment Used:
- Digital camera Nikon D3X;
- Telephoto lens SIGMA AF 300-800 F/5.6;
- Telephoto lens AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4 с with teleconverter Nikon TC-20E;
- Laptop IBM ThinkPad A31p;
- Guidance, navigation and control system sensors measuring the Station angular velocities;
- Power supply system sensors measuring the ISS RS solar array position.
Development of recommendations for the ISS RS power supply system control modes and possible methods for the solar array construction on the ISS RS advanced modules with regard to the capabilities to generate electrical power under the effect of solar radiation reflected from the Earth.
- Photographic images recorded using PSS SH/W digital camera on digital maps;
- Spectral data recorded using PSS SH/W on a digital map;
- Files with radiation spectra recorded using SH/W Fialka-MV-Kosmos on the memory card;
- Video cassette mini-DV with video images recorded using SH/W Fialka-MV-Kosmos;
- Telemetry information concerning measurements of nominal sensors of the ISS RS power supply system and guidance, navigation and control system, received from the Station.
The received digital photographic images and spectral data are recorded on the removable hard disk to be returned to the ground.